UNICEF Rights Respecting Gold Award
As a UNICEF Gold Award school we have embedded the principles of the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child into school our ethos and curriculum.
A Unicef Rights Respecting school puts the Convention on the Rights of the Child at the heart of the school’s every day practice. In the Convention, there are 54 articles which explain what children’s rights are. Articles 1-42 relate specifically to what children and adults can do to ensure all children’s rights are met. These rights will be learned, taught, practiced, respected and promoted by the whole school community. Articles 43-54 relate to how the Government will ensure these rights are met.
The principles of articles are based on equality, dignity, respect non- discrimination and participation.
Click here to download a child friendly poster of the Articles
A Rights Respecting School is a community where children’s rights are learned, taught, practiced, respected, protected and promoted.
What do we do as a Rights Respecting School?
- Each class creates their own Class Charter. Children choose the five most important rights they believe should be respected within their classroom and explain how they will respect these rights.
- The Article of the Week is displayed on our school website to ensure all children and parents are aware of the rights and understand them.
- The difference between wants and needs is discussed in school so that children respect children’s rights appropriately.
- Assemblies remind children of their rights and how we can respect them.
- An Article 12 group committee of Rights Ambassadors promote children's rights and work towards making our school a better place.
- Teachers embed children's rights and global issues within the curriculum. This encourages our children to become global citizens who are fully aware of their rights and explore the rights of other children in the world who unfortunately are not able to access all of their rights.
- We take part in a range of local, national and international fundraising activities and explore where the money raised goes and how we can make a difference.