Student Council Pupil Survey
The student council is passionate about representing every pupil of St. Stephen’s Primary School and, as such, conducted a pupil survey to identify how their experience could be made even better. The Student Council believes that everyone has the right to an opinion, which is in line with Article 12 of the Convention of the Rights of the Child: every child has the right to give their opinion, and for adults to take it seriously.
The information gathered was presented to the Leadership Team by the Student Council in order to use the pupils’ views to improve the school even more.
The Student council found out:
- Almost 100% of pupils are happy and feel safe at school.
- Most children watch the news at school or at home.
- 85% of children exercise at home and understand the importance of being healthy.
- All pupils love to either talk to their friends or play with their friends at playtime and lunchtime.
- Most pupils like to be active during the holidays.
- 87% of pupils access additional learning websites at home, such as TTRockstars and EdShed.
- 87% of pupils know who they can speak to if they are feeling worried.
- 75% of pupils access apps and websites at home, such as YouTube and TikTok.
As a result of the survey, the Student Council has reintroduced the worry box in the classroom to allow pupil to write their worry down before talking about it with their teacher and the Student Council has delivered assemblies about how to be safe online.
Meet Free Mondays
After speaking to all of the pupils at the school, the Student Council has made a menu of the vegetarian meals that we can have every Monday. This is called Meet Free Monday. They include delicious as well as nutritious meals and this new menu started after the Easter holidays.
Our new menu, chosen by the children, include: Veggie Nuggets, Samosas, Veggie Meatball Pasta and Veggie Burgers! Yum.
The rest of the menu, from Tuesday to Friday remains as before, with meat, veggie and vegan options.
By Starting Meat Free Monday, over the course of the year, we will:
- Help to cut our emissions by up to 1/3.
- Save the equivalent of over 2,300 tennis courts of forests from being destroyed.
- Prevent over 340,000 greenhouse gas miles from being created.
- Save over 630,000 bathtubs full of water.