Healthy Schools Award
Healthy Schools London
Healthy Schools London is an Awards Programme that reaches out to every London child, working with schools to improve the wellbeing of children and young people. We are delighted to inform you that not only do we have the Bronze award, but in April 2023, we were also awarded the Silver Healthy Schools Award. We are now preparing to achieve the Healthy Schools Gold accreditation.
To achieve the Silver award, we undertook an analysis of our pupil’s needs, and identified actions that will help them achieve and maintain good health and wellbeing.
At St. Stephen’s Primary, we understand the importance of supporting our children in knowing and making healthy lifestyle choices. The benefits go beyond health - we know that when children are healthy and happy at school, they can and will achieve more.
Here’s where you come in. Parents and families have a powerful role in supporting children’s learning, health, and emotional well-being at home and at school. When parents are engaged in their children’s school activities and initiatives, children choose healthier behaviours, and have better social skills. Children who have parents involved in their school lives also are more likely to avoid unhealthy behaviours and they are less likely to be emotionally distressed.
There are simple ways you can help support your child’s health and emotional well-being in school and at home:
- Attend health workshops provided by the school.
- Talk to staff about any health concerns you have about your child.
- Try simple strategies at home like asking about your child’s feelings, focusing on their strengths, and modelling positive coping skills to manage stress, like going for a walk.
- Cook and eat healthy meals together.
- Go for walks and if possible, walk to school.
- As a family, visit the dentist every six months.